Monday, April 15, 2013

No Sew T-Shirt Infinity Scarf


After cruising around Pinterest for hours the other night, I kept coming across tutorials for Infinity Scarves made out of T-Shirts.  I decided to give one a try and combined the steps from several tutorials into one that worked for me.


You are going to need a T-Shirt and a pair of scissors.
I used one from Fruit of the Loom. It is recommended that you use at least a size Large. This one is an Extra Large.


Lay your shirt out flat on a large surface. (I used the living room floor)
Cut the hem off the shirt. Cut right above the sewn hem. KEEP the hem you just cut off because you will need it later in the tutorial. Set it aside for now.


Cut the top of the shirt off right below the bottom of the arms. Try to cut as straight as possible, but small flaws won't matter much. Set the top part aside as we won't be needing it.


Cut slits along one side of the T-Shirt. I eyeballed it and cut them about one inch apart and about 2 inches deep. There is no set amount you are suppose to cut, but try to at least have 15 or more.


After you made the small cuts, you are going to go back and finish cutting them the rest of the way. Just be sure that you STOP cutting at least 1/2 inch from the top.  You need to keep them linked together by a small amount.


Take each one of the cut strips and test your strength! While holding the top of the strips, take each one at the bottom and pull as hard as you can and hold it for a few seconds.  You want each strip to start getting the rolled look to it as shown in the picture above.  Also try and keep them all the same length.


After you are done, bunch the top together where the chain link is still connected. Make sure all of the loops are still separated and lay on the flat surface.


Take your discarded hem from earlier and tie it around that chain link section into a knot.  This secures it all in an orderly fashion.


Cut off the extra hem leaving enough to tuck back under the knot.  I used the end of my scissors to make sure it was under there tightly so the ends wouldn't come out. 

ALL DONE!  Now you have your own T-Shirt Infinity Scarf made in about 10 minutes with no sewing involved.  

2 comments:

  1. I love this and featured it today in my link party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came over from HoH and love this tutorial! I'm going to have to try this for my daughter.. pink would look adorable! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete